February 28, 2024
In partnership with the Longview Foundation and the San Diego State University Wendy Gillespie Center for Advancing Global Business, and other partners, the San Diego Diplomacy Council will be hosting the SDDC Binational Youth Summit on February 28, 2024, at San Diego State University. This one-day Summit will convene 200 high school students and high school teachers from San Diego and Tijuana to explore international affairs and diplomacy while developing binational relationships and activating our next generation global leaders. Students will attend sessions led by local and global leaders and participate in a binational diplomacy simulation. Teachers will get tools and tips for integrating more international affairs curricula into their classrooms. There is no cost to students and teachers to attend.
The Binational Youth Leadership Summit will create locally and globally focused conversations that inspire engagement on issues affecting international education. Together, we will foster connections and growth in the international education community, as well as celebrate the critical role that public and citizen diplomacy programs play in building a more peaceful, prosperous binational region and world.
Students attending the summit will:
- Engage in an interactive diplomacy simulation focused on a real world international crisis
- Participate in discussions with educators, experts, and peers on global topics
- Receive leadership and civic engagement training
- Form friendships with other future leaders from our binational region
- Learn about career opportunities and educational pathways in international affairs, global business, and diplomacy
Educators enrolled in the Summit will:
- Form connections with other local educators interested in exposing their students to international affairs and diplomacy
- Learn about ways to weave globally-focused curricula into their high school lesson plans
- Learn about other opportunities for their students to be exposed to international affairs
Partner With Us
Special thanks to the following Sponsors and Partners:
The Longview Foundation
The SDSU Wendy Gillespie Center for Advancing Global Business
La Jolla Country Day School
World Design Capital 2024
The Burnham Center for Community Advancement
US Consulate Tijuana
Mexican Consulate San Diego
We are seeking additional support from San Diego and Tijuana/Baja area businesses, organizations, and individuals to help support this Summit. We are currently seeking:
- Financial sponsors
- Partners to help spread the word about this event
- Bilingual university students to volunteer as Small Group Facilitators
Please contact Jawad Al Baghdadi at email@example.com or (619)291-8105 to learn more about these opportunities.
The SDSU Wendy Gillespie Center for Advancing Global Business works to expand international curriculum, research, and engagement between academia and global organizations.
The Longview Foundation seeks to build a more peaceful, just, and sustainable world by equipping youth with a global perspective and understanding of political, social, and environmental issues worldwide. They accomplish this by supporting teacher preparation, state initiatives and coalitions, and innovative programs focused on internationalizing education in the United States.