Job Opening: Executive Director Position
The San Diego Diplomacy Council is seeking a skilled Executive Director (ED) who works with the Board of Directors, Advisory Board, staff, and partner organizations to achieve its mission, vision, and goals. The ED is the senior member of our professional team, is the staff liaison to the Board of Directors, and serves as our professional representative to government, academic, private, and non-profit partners for the organization’s programs and operations. The ED acts as a lead for the organization, responsible for personnel, fundraising, programs, and communication management. The position reports to the Board of Directors. This position will be eligible to work remotely for the near future during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Provide leadership and manage the organization’s strategy, program, operational, communication, fundraising efforts, and financial plans.
- Lead, manage, and coach staff, interns, and volunteers to attain continued growth, success, and mission impact.
- Foster a collaborative working environment, encourage professional development, and leadership among staff and interns.
- Attend various committee meetings, including board meetings, prepare the agenda for board meetings in consultation with and at the direction of the President, and provide a monthly activity report.
- Work closely with the Operations Director and Finance Committee to ensure sound fiscal accountability as directed by the Board.
- Oversee and work closely with the Program team to ensure the International Visitor Program and custom programs receive excellent service and administration.
- Oversee and support the Communication activities implemented by staff, volunteers or outside contractors.
- Supervise and coordinate virtual and in-person programs, grants and initiatives with the Global Ties U.S network and U.S Department of State.
- Represent the Diplomacy Council to the public at large and seek opportunities to speak to local groups and the media in order to promote SDDC and its mission.
- Champion the mission and values of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, and help develop its strategies and plans across the organization’s services.
Required skills and qualifications:
An ideal candidate for this role embraces servant-leadership as well as a thoughtful approach to day-to-day operational management, strategic planning, innovation, and organizational leadership. Qualified candidates should bring:
- Minimum five years of prior executive experience as a successful leader of a related nonprofit organization.
- Experience in strategic planning, budgeting, and a proven track record of growing organizational capacity, programmatic impact, and fundraising.
- A strong passion for citizen diplomacy, professional, educational, and cultural exchanges and protocol.
- Outstanding communication skills, public speaking, and ability to work well with media, staff, donors, partner organizations, and the community.
- Diplomatic skills and ability to work with multiple cultures and constituencies.
- Passion for initiating creative programs, events, and organizational funding growth.
- Capacity to excel at influencing and leading an organization towards growth and impact.
- Driver’s License and access to a car required.
- Willingness to attend evening or weekend events and meetings as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, global studies, or related field.
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Master’s degree in international relations, global studies, or related field.
- Experience working with federal agencies and familiarity with federal grant requirements and processes (Department of State, Department of Defense, Library of Congress, USAID)
- Conversant on global affairs and U.S. foreign policy priorities
The San Diego Diplomacy Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Send cover letter, resume and list three professional references to Employment@SanDiegoDiplomacy.org with Executive Director in the subject line or via mail to San Diego Diplomacy Council, 4305 University Avenue, Suite 510, San Diego, CA 92105. Applications will be accepted through May 14, 2021. You will be contacted by email before May 28, 2021 if your application is selected for an interview. Thank you for your interest in employment with the San Diego Diplomacy Council.
INTERNSHIP & VOLUNTEERING
Gain hands-on experience in public diplomacy while learning about the work of a nonprofit in San Diego. Our volunteer intern positions are for college juniors through graduate-level students. Our internship program is attractive to emerging global leaders looking to expand their skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Program – designed to give students practical experience in planning and scheduling professional appointments for international visitors who come to San Diego.
- Operations – designed to give the student a global perspective on how non-profit organizations are managed, organized, and run
- Executive – designed to give the student experience in working with executive-level personnel on administrative, meeting planning, and communication tasks.
- Events – designed to give the student a high level of responsibility and exposure in planning professional and social events.
- Membership – designed to give the student experience conducting first-hand research with international businesses, foundations, and individuals to determine potential sources for support or affiliation with our organization.
- Data Analytics – designed to give students real-world experience in utilizing a variety of techniques to interpret data and identify growth opportunities in membership, funding, and community involvement through analysis of data and trends.
- Marketing – designed to give the student a high level of responsibility and exposure to local media sources in a professional, intercultural environment.
Internship Details and Timeline
Our unpaid internships are approximately 15 hours per week, between 10 AM and 5 PM, Monday through Friday for a minimum of 6 months. Resumes are accepted and Internships are available year-round.
Email your resume and internship interest to email@example.com to apply.